Excellence in Education:
Westgate strives to provide an academic environment which encourages academic excellence within the context of our Anabaptist faith. Westgate will:
- offer a program of academic excellence recognized by both the Manitoba Ministry of Education and institutions of higher learning.
- inspire academic achievement in order to broaden, enrich and challenge students’ learning and world-view.
- enrich classroom learning with diverse extra-curricular opportunities for participation and leadership development.
- enable students to weigh educational, life-style, vocational and voluntary service choices that offer healing and hope our world.
Westgate strives to provide an environment that encourages students to explore, understand and claim their own faith in Jesus Christ. Westgate will:
- partner with the families and local Mennonite Church Canada congregations in the mission of Christian education.
- teach the Bible as the story of God’s relationship with us and encourage students to participate in this story and to choose the way of Jesus in daily life.
- lead students to understand, appreciate and identify with people of faith throughout history, with emphasis on the Anabaptist Mennonite witness of faithful discipleship and service.
- encourage students to belong to and actively participate in their local churches and provide opportunities for students to be involved in service, both locally and globally.
- equip students to discern values in the world in order to responsibly participate and lead in their church, community and global society.
Westgate will provide a safe, nurturing community where every student is included and encouraged to explore their gifts and find places of involvement and belonging. Westgate will:
- foster a stimulating and safe school environment where students, faculty and staff reconcile individual freedom with mutual accountability and learn a wholesome respect for self and others.
- help to develop respectful and ethical relationships, where each person is valued and where we are accountable for our actions, decisions and behaviours.
- encourage and affirm students to do their very best, whether in academics, leadership, service, athletics, music or the arts.
- give students the direction and the grace they need to succeed.
- be a safe and inclusive space for all of our student.
The education of children is a shared responsibility of the school, the home and the church. Parents and teachers are partners in this endeavor and work together with mutual respect and support.
Positive Relationships Within the Local and Wider Community:
Westgate strives to promote healthy relationships between our school and the local and wider community. To that end, Westgate will:
- foster opportunities for students and teachers to give back to the local community.
- inform and invite participation from the community in Westgate events.
- encourage interaction through drama, athletics, music and service.
Westgate will strive to instill a respect for creation and a sense of responsibility for our time and gifts. Westgate will:
- encourage healthy living.
- encourage global awareness, working toward fairness and equality in the world.
- teach students to be generous stewards of their time and resources, and to respect the earth and value creation.
It is well that we regularly commit this enterprise to God.